Potty training is a big step for your child, and it can take time and patience to get it down. Here are some tips to help you with potty training:
- Start when your child is ready. Every child is different, and it's important to wait until your child is physically and emotionally ready to begin potty training.
- Be positive and patient. Potty training can be frustrating for both you and your child, but it's important to remain positive and patient. Praise your child for their efforts, and don't get angry or upset if they have accidents.
- Be consistent. It's important to establish a routine and stick to it. So once your child is out of diapers, they are… out of diapers. This can help your child understand what is expected of them and make the process go more smoothly. That being said, introducing pull ups as “sleep undies” or something new that is “different’ than diapers, can still work!
- Prep your child. Make sure they know what to expect by reading books about going to the potty, or watching potty training episodes, like Daniel Tiger to set your child up for success. You can also use the bathroom habits social story and visual routine on the Earlybird app to help.
- Involve your child in the process. Get them excited by letting them pick out their potty or new undies! This will get them eager to participate in the process.
- Make it fun. Potty training doesn't have to be boring. Try using stickers, rewards, or other incentives to motivate your child and make it more enjoyable. Kids often love visually seeing their progress and success. Check out the sticker charts on the Earlybird app.
- Be prepared for setbacks. It's normal for children to have accidents or regress during potty training. Don't get discouraged, you will get the routine back on track by remaining consistent.
Every child is different, and what works for one may not work for another. So figure out what approach works for YOUR child and your family, and go from there! Don’t let all the noise out there telling you that there is only one “right” way to potty train your kids get you down. If you try an approach and it doesn’t work, try something else! Potty training can be a process, but with a bit of patience, you and your child can get through it together.
For more parenting tips and tricks check out the other articles on the *FREE* Earlybird parenting app in the Apple app or Google Play store. We have a full potty training workshop for parents up there too :)