Parenting can be a challenging and overwhelming experience, and it's completely normal to feel like it's hard at times. But remember, it feels hard because it is hard, not because you’re doing something wrong. Be kind to yourself. The feeling will pass, and you are not alone in your parenting journey.
Here are a few things you can do when you find parenting hard:
- Seek support: It's important to remember that you don't have to do it all alone. Reach out to friends, family, or professionals for support and guidance.
- Take care of yourself: It's hard to be a good parent if you're not taking care of yourself. Make sure to prioritize self-care and do things that nourish and replenish you, such as getting enough sleep, eating well, and finding time for hobbies and activities you enjoy. The best thing you can do for your kids is to take care of yourself so you have full capacity to care for them. So make yourself a priority.
- Set boundaries: It's important to set boundaries for yourself and your family in order to maintain a healthy balance. This can include establishing a consistent routine that works for you and fits in things you enjoy. It can also mean saying no to commitments that may be overwhelming.
- Find ways to manage stress: Parenting can be stressful, and it's important to find ways to manage that stress in order to be the best parent you can be. This can include practicing relaxation techniques, such as deep breathing or meditation, seeking support from others, and finding time for activities that help you relax and unwind.
- Remember that it's okay to make mistakes: Parenting is a learning process, and it's okay to make mistakes. The most important thing is to learn from them.
It won’t always feel this hard. There is light at the end of the tunnel. You'll find your own unique parenting style and find a rhythm that works for you and your family. And every hard stage ends. Newborns sleep, babies get all their teeth, and toddlers learn to manage their big feelings. And as your kids grow they will become more and more independent which will give you more and more space to find balance.